Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Republican State Representative Gives A Heartfelt Speech On Marriage Equality


No, the title of this post is not a typo. Even though I rip on Republicans (deservedly so) either with family and friends or in the blogosphere on a regular basis, I have no issue praising them when I think it's warranted. On February 8, 2012, the Washington House of Representatives debated on the legalization of same-sex marriage. During this, Republican State Representative Maureen Walsh made an emotional appeal to the legislators. This is one of the best political speeches I've heard in a long time. Ironically, what I loved about the speech is that it wasn't the typical political speech you hear these days. You could tell that Rep. Walsh was speaking from the heart. Judge for yourself:



By the way, the House voted 55-43 in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage!!

3 comments:

Shaw Kenawe said...

Sidbirt is a perfect representation of rightwing boorishness. He comes here to your blog and insults you.

Anyway, Malcolm, that video was inspiring. But I wondered if Rep. Walsh would have been as passionate about supporting gay and lesbian civil rights if her daughter had not come out.

I'm guessing she would have, since I felt her sincerity in her speech.

Good for her. She's a GOPer I'd be happy to be friends with.

Unlike...well nevermind.

Malcolm said...

Shaw: You are so right about "Sidbirt". I gave their comment the response it deserved by clicking on the trash can link.

When I first watched this clip, I too was wondering how Rep. Walsh would view gay rights if her daughter hadn't come out. I believe she probably would have regardless because of what she said about her husband. I also think her daughter coming out allowed her to personalize her speech even more.

Also, I'm reminded of the two most prominent Republicans with gay relatives: Newt Gingrich and Dick Cheney. I can't see either of them making such a passionate speech in favor of gay rights the way Rep. Walsh did.

Curious said...

If people spoke more from the heart instead of from the party platform on either side, things would go so much easier.