Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Don Cornelius - Creator of Soul Train Dead at 75


Don Cornelius, the man who provided a window in which to view Black culture and a platform for established and new musical artists to shine was found dead from a gunshot wound to the head. According to authorities the death appears to be a suicide.

Don Cornelius, a Chicago native brought the syndicated music vehicle to the airwaves in the early 1970's. To date it is the longest running syndicated television show in history. Being a child of the 60's and 70's I could not wait until Saturday Mornings to see the new dances and fashions the "Soul Train Dancers" would be sporting.

In later years Don Cornelius would give up his reign as host to the likes of Mystro Clark, Shemar Moore, and Dorian Gregory. In my humble opinion, "Soul Train" was never the same without Don.

5 comments:

dmarks said...

I only watched it a few times, but liked it.

midtown miscreant said...

If you cut of this guys Afro, he'd be a foot and a half shorter.

Trekkie4Ever said...

How horribly tragic. I grew up watching Soul Train.

I am saddened that he took his own life.

RIP Don.

Malcolm said...

Soul Train was a big part of my childhood and helped to influence my love of music. I had never thought of it until his death, but Don Cornelius should be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in the non-performer category.

Malcolm said...

By the way, you were right about "Soul Train" not being same once Don Cornelius quit hosting the show. I rarely watched it after he left.