Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Purpose of Diversity Ink

In late 2008, a blog buddy of mine named Barbara asked if I was interested in starting a blog that dealt with race issues. Although I liked the idea, I was reluctant to say "yes" because my other blog (Pop Culture Dish) and life in general keep me busy. However, after reading some of the misguided race-related posts/comments on other blogs, I started to rethink my position. I also realized that if other contributors became involved, it would lessen the time required to undertake such a project.

One of the reasons the racial divide continues is that members of a particular ethnicity may talk amongst each other about race issues, but not to members outside their race. Also, because race is such a sensitive issue, people are reluctant to come out in the open with any of their views, questions, etc. My hope is that Diversity Ink might lead to the bridging of the divide and the breaking down of some of these walls.

When you visit Diversity Ink, you can expect to read race-related posts that deal with the following:

1. The personal experiences of our various contributors

2. Current events

3. Movies/TV shows, books, and magazine articles

4. Poetry (both original and previous works)

As with any blog, comments will be a vital part of Diversity Ink. Although we welcome intelligent debate, we are going to keep it clean and responsible. If you have any questions about the guidelines at Diversity Ink, please read our Comment Policy.

I am really looking forward to taking part in Diversity Ink. I expect it to be educational for everyone concerned.

11 comments:

The Rock Chick said...

Hey Malcolm, Thanks for letting me know about this new blog! That is a fine list of bloggers on the contributors list and I'm looking forward to reading the future work posted here. I think this is an awesome idea!!

Candy Minx said...

I am looking forward to following this new path and I think it's completely worthwhile. I've linked your url to mine and am ready to read along!

Best of luck and I hope you get lots of visitors and lots of comments!

bransom said...

Whats up Malc!

This is Bea and I am looking forward to participating in this blog! I usually don't blog but as I have grown and experienced things...I am stoked that I will have an opportunity to voice my opionion and learn from others as well!!!

Bar L. said...

Malcolm,

Its thrilling to see this blog come to life on this very fitting day as we honor Martin Luther King, and the day before we have our first African American as President!

I hope that I can contribute as things in my personal life settle down.

You've done an excellent job of pulling people together for this and I look forward to lots of engaging conversations!

Malcolm said...

The Rock Chick: Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm looking forward to your participation in the discussions.

Candy: Thanks for the kind words and for adding us to your blogroll!

Bea: What's up?!! I'm glad you stopped by to comment. I look forward to hearing your takes on the various discussions we have here.

Barbara: Thanks! It's a bit weird that what we were talking about just a couple of months ago has become a reality so soon.

I know that things have been very trying for you. Whenever you are ready to contribute, it'll be here waiting.

clnmike said...

Lets get the party started!

Lori said...

Love the picture, Malcolm! It's nice to finally have a "face" to go along with the words (smile).

MYM said...

I came here from Thoughtful Reflections.

Sounds like a wonderful idea you've started here. Good luck with your new blog everyone.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Craig Eldon and I'm with The Home Depot PR team. I'm reaching out to discuss a program we're currently coordinating that would be of interest to your readers.

Please reply at your earliest convenience to discuss details.

craig.eldon@mslworldwide.com

Thank you!

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

Great initiative...here from Jessica's blog Thoughtful Reflections - I'll be posting about you and linking asap..:)

Kofi Bofah said...

Just swinging through to check out Mike.

I will be back a little later.

This is a good idea...