Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wrong Words, Right Message

President Barack Obama delivered his first State of the Union address last night. I'm sure most of you watched it, and have your opinions on how he did and what he said.

This post is not about the speech, however.

It is about a comment made by MSNBC Hardball host Chris Matthews. Here is the video:



In case you don't want to watch the video, here's the text:

I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting: he is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. You know, he's gone a long way to become a leader of this country, and past so much history, in just a year or two. I mean, it's something we don't even think about. I was watching, I said, wait a minute, he's an African American guy in front of a bunch of other white people. And here he is president of the United States and we've completely forgotten that tonight -- completely forgotten it. I think it was in the scope of his discussion. It was so broad-ranging, so in tune with so many problems, of aspects, and aspects of American life that you don't think in terms of the old tribalism, the old ethnicity. It was astounding in that regard. A very subtle fact. It's so hard to talk about. Maybe I shouldn't talk about it, but I am. I thought it was profound that way.


Twitter was in a bit of an uproar over these comments last night. I wasn't. I totally understood what he meant when he uttered these words; it may have not been the most politically correct thing to say, but I understand why he said it.

We live in a world marred by racism, colorism, and division. Last night during President Obama's speech, he was simply the President delivering a message. He didn't stand before Congress as the first black President; he stood and delivered the message as the President. In my opinion, he has a broad view of what the country needs and wants. So when he looks at the problems we face as a country, he is looking at them from a presidential "what can I do" point of view. That view has absolutely nothing to do with his race, or skin color. It has everything to do with character, service, and fully embracing the role he has been elected carry out.

It is time that we let go of that "astoundment" we see when we view the President. We can be proud, we can even cheer for him; but it is up to us to stop minimizing his role. He is not just a black President...he is the President.

At the end of the day, that is all that matters.

source for video and text: Huffington Post

4 comments:

Teresa said...

I totally agree that he should be viewed as the President as opposed to a black President. But, clearly Chris Matthews, as much as he thinks he wants to get past race, his words show the exact opposite by focusing on Obama's race.

Judi said...

I was anticipating this post and appreciate that you addressed it. Matthews stumbled initially, yes, but attempted to convey his initial reaction more succinctly later in the evening on The Rachel Maddow Show. President Obama, IMHO, commanded that room last night as the president. I'm not defending Matthews, yet he had just finished working on that town hall meeting. Maybe it surprised him that HE was not thinking of race.

Malcolm said...

Thanks for posting this Marvalus! When I heard Chris say this last night, I knew that some people would be pissed off about it. Although Chris didn't put it as eloquently as he would have if he was reading from a script, I understood what he meant and he said nothing wrong. He actually came off as more genuine because he was speaking from the heart. I also like how Chris acknowledged that maybe he shouldn't talk about it, but did anyway.

Marvalus said...

@Teresa - When I watched Chris Matthews make this statement, I felt the exact same way he did. I knew exactly what he meant, and why he said it. With that said, I don't think it is as much about race as it is about history making. I still think Chris gets goose pimples when he thinks back to the election. This country, through all of it's racial inequities, came together and elected a man that didn't fit the mold of previous presidents. That is where the awe came from, I think.

@Judi - Maybe your right...

@Malcolm - my pleasure! I've always liked Chris Matthews, even when he begins to talk out of the side of his neck. He can ramble, but he makes sense most of the time.