Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Martin Luther What?!

On the Monday January 18th (MLK Day) edition of the ESPN Radio program Mike and Mike in the Morning, co-host Mike Greenberg had a controversial slip of the tongue in which he said "Martin Luther Coon".



As you may know, this is a racist term used by some when they refer to the iconic civil rights leader. As you can hear from the audio clip, Greenberg quickly corrected himself. He also later issued the following statement:

I just came home from the Knicks game and found out about the mess that was created by my garbling a sentence on our show this morning; I apologize for not addressing it sooner.

And I'm sorry that my talking too fast - and slurring my words - might have given people who don't know our show the wrong impression about us, and about me.

I feel horrible about that, because nothing could be further away from who I am and what our show is about.

I would never say anything like that, not in public, or in private, or in the silence of my own mind, and neither would anyone associated with our show, and I'm very sorry that my stumble this morning gave so many people the opposite impression.

Some feel an apology isn't enough and that Greenberg should face suspension or be fired. Because we can only speculate as to what might be in Greenberg's heart when it comes to race, I'm giving him a pass. Maybe I am more willing to give Greenberg the benefit of a doubt because I know how it is to talk live on the air and get my words tangled. Although I've never used a derogatory term on the air when I've garbled words, I can see how it could happen. For example, ABC news personality Elizabeth Vargas is known in circles by the derisive nickname "Elizabitch". Someone could have knowledge of this and mistakenly slip and say on the air "Elizabitch Vargas". It doesn't mean they are sexist or even think that Ms. Vargas is a bitch. All it shows is that at the very least, they have knowledge of the nickname. My feeling is that Mike Greenberg is aware of the term "Martin Luther Coon" and had a brain cramp on live radio.

Although I'm giving Mike Greenberg a pass on this one, I've got my eyyees on him!

Does Mike Greenberg get the benefit of the doubt from you?

6 comments:

Josh said...

Greenie, a racist? Seriously?

Is anyone here a Mike and Mike fan? These guys talk for four hours every weekday morning and probably slur about a hundred words.

I'm surprised it wasn't Golic lol

Wow. Well, I never cease to be amazed. Never.

I could understand if this slipped from Hannity or Rush or someone, but not Greenie.

I know logical explanations mean next to nothing in the world of reactionary, name that racist American pop culture, so Greenie will never be granted context in some circles.

After all, this is based on the assumption that Greenie has Martin Luther "coon" stuck in his head and didn't simply slip up on a "K" and get tounge twisted.

Teresa said...

I am not sure whether it was meant to be a racial slur or just a slip of the tongue but I feel that an apology is appropriate in this matter. I have never listened to Mike and Mike in the Morning so I don't know whether he has a tendency for slip ups, or to get words tangled or not but he should reassure his fans that he didn't intend that comment to be a racial slur.

Sandy Gholston said...

Referring to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as Martin Luther "Coon" is an old, OLD racist insult used for years by racists who hated Dr. King.

I highly doubt very many people (if any) think of Mike Greenberg as racist. There is not nearly enough to make such a charge stick. In my blog, I chose to give Greenberg a pass on this one. I imagine it was probably just a slip, but it was a BAD slip.

http://sandygholston.blogspot.com/2010/01/espns-mike-greenbergs-martin-luther.html

Josh said...

@ Sandy Gholston

You know, I'm 29 and I have never heard King referred to as "Coon" in my entire life.

Maybe Greenie has, maybe he hasn't. I don't know.

Maybe it's old to the point a lot people aren't saying it these days. I don't know.

But in general, I personally think it's much more logical that Greenie mixed "King" with "Junior" and caught himself and corrected himself, never thinking an abbreviated or cut short "Kunior" would be played back as "coon."

Malcolm said...

Jay: Thanks for including the link to the story about the KARK anchor. I can't remember how I first came to know the term "Martin Luther Coon". It was either via a movie/TV show or I read it somewhere. My guess is that the term has fallen out of favor because MLK has been dead for over 40 years and therefore is no longer in the public eye. However, it could be one of those terms that racists only use amongst themselves.

Josh: For all we know, Greenberg could be a racist. However, I don't think he is. At any rate, I don't feel his on-air slip up warrants punishment. It is interesting to read the comments on other posts about this topic because some people are calling for Greenberg's head over this incident.

Teresa: Only Greenberg will truly know what his intentions were. I've listened to Mike and Mike In the Morning on occasions. He apologized, so the issue is closed as far as I'm concerned. Although Greenberg may have flubbed words on the air (which is natural), I know I never heard him make any racially offensive remarks.

Sandy: I think people are reaching if they feel Greenberg is a racist because of his unfortunate on-air gaffe. On another site, a commenter said they will never listen to "Mike and Mike In the Morning" again and someone else said that Greenberg should be kicked off the radio. I have four letters for these people... CTFD.

Josh said...

"For all we know, Greenberg could be a racist."

And Al Pacino might be a cannibal.

You never know for certain.

That's why logical information used to determine the more obvious path often brings about more accuracy--and justice, moveover--than inherent speculation.

But when it comes to race, it's a crime few peers wish to give a trial. Past verdicts have tainted all henceforth.