Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I'm Offended That I'm Offended

There are times that I feel like a poor excuse for a strong black person because I'm not legitimately offended enough to get upset about some things, I'm just offended that I have to spend time being offended! Today's controversy provides a perfect example: the Sean Delonas political cartoon published in yesterday's New York Post.

politcartoon

The creator of this cartoon is trying to make light of an incident this week in Connecticut involving an enraged pet chimpanzee that had to be killed by the police after going on a wild rampage. The instant conclusion I'd draw from this weak attempt at humor is that it's clear that "a monkey could do the job" of creating the Stimulus Bill, maybe even the "monkey" that was shot dead this week, and now that he's been unexpectedly snuffed out they'll have to find someone else to do his job. The association between the chimp shooting and Washington is not clear, nor is any association between any human being and the Stimulus Bill. So this cartoon becomes a real knee-slapper for everyone from the owner of the pet monkey dealing with her loss, to animal rights advocates offended that the police shot the chimp, to the Americans depending on the Stimulus, to...black people.

If anyone is really listening, can I make something clear once and for all? Any similarities drawn between a black person and a monkey are just - for lack of a better phrase - played out. That disgusting banana in the tailpipe of stereotypes is older than American history itself and even if it's not done on purpose it's something that no black person wants to see. It's trite, tired, and a surefire way to piss us off. Col Allen, editor-in-chief of The New York Post, a paper that's not exactly known for its thought-provoking content, is either off of his game or an intentional agitator. It's not really worth attempting to demonstrate the latter, so I can't help but accept the former. As an experienced professional seeking to attract as wide an audience as possible, the smart thing to do is to reject any images linking black people to apes, Chinese people with Laundry, Jewish people with skin-flint ways, or Arabs with terrorism. Why not just show a lazy Mexican dude with a sombrero on, dancing around to "La Cucaracha" and drinking tequila? That ugliness is only 50% of the way towards how deeply negative black America's relationship is with monkeys; in case you haven't heard, people do find that offensive, in fact consistently so over the past, say, THREE HUNDRED YEARS. Confusion around this concept needs to end.

ethnobio

What America needs to get is that this kind of thing doesn't actually upset most black folks in the way that many believe. There have been times that I've felt emotionally wounded and discouraged by racism but this is not one of those times. Black Americashould be upset because our sensibilities are not even being considered for one moment when an editor decides to run a cartoon even halfway depicting a black person as a chimpanzee. I doubt that Delonas was aiming for an "Obama is a monkey" joke. He has a history of ignorant cartoons that he defends with a "what, me worry?" shrug, but even a racist would zero in on the joke better by clearly making that chimp Obama-like. We also all know that Obama didn't actually write the Stimulus plan, which has many authors, not a single one. These facts considered, Delonas is just corny and we all know that. What I find irritating is the lack of care shown for my participation in political discourse. Knowing that as soon as you draw even the flimsiest parallel between a black person and an ape those inflammatory images strike a deeply repulsive chord and just lock us out. I'm offended that my sensibilities aren't even being bothered with or considered, especially with such obvious images, and further offended that I have to be bothered. At its mildest, it's as if I went to an event as a vegetarian and every single dish served had meat in it. By not considering my sensibilities as a black American, it is impossible to reach a common point where issues that are important, like the Stimulus bill itself, can be discussed with cool heads.

Which brings me to how black America shold be responding to this type of nonsense: Enough of us have hearts of stone and black pride that takes a deeper cut to slice than this, so a little rag like The Post isn't going to change much about the continued involvement of black Americans in political life. Thanks to my tendency to eschew political correctness in favor of open discourse and a funny bone that needs more than a crudely drawn, simplistic cartoon to get me giggling, Delonas' work barely affects me at all. I'm a fan of the cliche "a monkey could do that job," but when that monkey is being gunned down by a pair of stunned NYPD officers and linked even in passing to our black president, I have to cry foul but remember not to do so too hard. Certain sensitivities are long past their expiration date, and it's time for black America to get past them and focus on the real problems. There is always going to be some lame underachiever taking digs, some journalist who stinks at his job, or some legitimate racist who twists the discussion. With a black president in office we can't afford to suspect foul play at every turn of the river because the people who want us to be voiceless are counting on us to spend the time and energy it takes to be offended and running in circles protesting instead of staying on course. I'm sure most of the same people who are offended by this cartoon today don't even understand the contents of the Stimulus Bill that was signed yesterday . . . do you? That is what we need to be worried about.

8 comments:

pjazzypar said...

Welcome Back Thembi! I know you would come back blazing :-) You are absolutely correct about the Simian comparisons and the New York Post attempt as humor are appalling and disrespectful, but we got to keep it pushing. For myself dealing with racism has distracted me, however as you so eloquently put it "certain sensitivities are long past their expiration date, and it's time for black America to get past them and focus on the real problems". We must keep out eye on the prize and not let diversions destroy my resolve.

Josh said...

Well, I had started writing an opinion, but I admit that I'm confused.

In no way am I attempting to argue your meaning -- just trying to understand it.

Are you saying that since some racists have used "monkey" in a derogatory fashion towards African-Americans, that a cartoon, even if it's not intended to be racist, should not go to print because some may find it offensive or, at the very least, inconsiderate?
...............................

Anyway:

How 'bout that stimulus bill, huh!? lol

30 million to the harvest field mice to get their economy back on track! *literally falls from chair laughing*

Was it 80+ million to move one building into another and then 3 billion+ to switch from government gaz guzzlers to conceptual hybrids?

Oh, how about that 850 mil in digital TV coupons? Did that ever get cut out?

All kinds of crazy billions for Global Warming reserach that may or may not help America in a few decades.

Billions for new schools in districts that have EMPTY schools just sitting there.

50 mil for the "arts"?

A whole lot of money going to give tax benefits to non-taxpayers (okay, somebody'll have to explain that'un to me)

And I think the hard-working American will see $13 more on their paychecks. ... ?

Another 75 billion to bail out people about to lose their homes. Okay, that's not so bad. But considering 9% of people are facing this problem and the other 91% have to pay -- I have to wonder what's up.


Here's hoping it works! Regardless of my disdain for far-left politics, I'm still a proud American and am willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Judi said...

I am embarrassed to admit that I did not initially have the same response to the cartoon. I couldn't make a connection with the mauling and the stimulus bill so I just assumed I didn't have enough information to understand it or it just wasn't funny. After listening to Rev. Sharpton on Countdown tonight and reading the posts here, I understand the concern. Race didn't enter my mind when I saw it, which may be because I'm white or because I didn't take time to try to understand it. Any comments?

Josh said...

Jeez, I'm a night owl! They shoulda never let me work from home -- I'll be leaving comments all night :D ...

Racism entered my mind because I thought the cartoon - from simply glancing at it - was a dig at that young baseball player who was shot by a cop outside of Houston (can't remember the town's name), in front of his house, with his parents in the lawn, and in an upscale neighborhood they've been residents of for 15 years.

The cops ran the plate number wrong and the poor dude was just DWB in a white neighborhood.

I had just watched the Gumble report on that before I came on.

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks of Eric Holder's comments about us being "cowards" as well. Y'all can spam up my recent blog post on the topic, but only after you leave plentiful comments for thissun!

clnmike said...

I am sorry but this is clearly calling the President a monkey and is actually assasinating him.

The Post aint stupid they been through enough racial mess in NY to know that this was blatently racist.

Never mind all the incidents of cops shooting black men that have grabbed national headlines over this year and last.

Insensitive, irresponsible, and intentional.

This was intentional.

Thembi Ford said...

@Josh - yes that is basically my argument, but the history of the depiction of black people as apes has a very long and deep-seated history in this country and beyond. Check this post from my blog cousin Undercover Blackman to fully understand: http://undercoverblackman.blogspot.com/2009/02/test.html

The reaction to such images is often visceral.

Josh said...

@ Thembi

Good post. I need to know how to get that many comments on my blog posts! ;)

I can't decide what's worse:

1) The ways people rationalized humanity in an era before modern science and worldly understanding that somehow defies common sense and is so utterly insulting that the entire period is tarnished

B) The many people who were quick to not only believe ignorance, but perpetuate it as fact and teach it to their children

I think the best thing we can do, as a collective people, is to slow it down a notch, grasp the context in situations, and judge the past and modern era on separate scales.

The alternative is frightening.

I left a similar "photo" post on my blog as well. I'm missing some historic detail... but it's still good for a laugh. :P

Malcolm said...

Excellent debut post on your part Thembi! The cartoon is racist in my eyes. How it got past the editor (insensitivity? obliviousness?) is anyone's guess.

I do agree that we need to keep focused on what's most important. It's like the magician waving his right hand to divert the audience's attention while he's doing a trick with his left one. We need to pay attention to what that left hand is doing.