Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pat Buchanan Calls President Obama "Your Boy" On Al Sharpton's Show



Last week during an appearance on Al Sharpton's MSNBC show, fellow MSNBC contributor Pat Buchanan used the term "your boy" in reference to President Obama and how he extended the Bush tax cuts in 2010. Sharpton was visibly offended by Buchanan's remark and went on to use a boxing analogy to describe how President Obama is handling the Republicans.



 The following day on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pat explained the "your boy" reference he made:



Although Pat has a sordid history when it comes to race, he gets a pass from me on this one. I've never considered the term "your boy" to have racial connotations. When I hear the term, both Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon come to mind because they use it on their ESPN chatfest Pardon the Interruption. According to someone named "Liberal and Proud", who commented on the story on the Crooks & Liars, Pat used "your boy" when referring to then President Bill Clinton years ago. Although I couldn't find video of the reference, that doesn't mean Pat didn't say it. Because of Pat's aforementioned track record on race matters, I think those who are upset by the "your boy" remark are looking at the messenger and not the message.

Do you give Pat Buchanan a pass for the "your boy" remark?

6 comments:

innominatus said...

I used to think rather highly of Pat back in the '80s and early '90s when he was on CNN's Crossfire debate show. I'm not sure what triggered it, but somewhere along the way he started getting really kooky. Conspiracy stuff, praising aspects of Nazism, etc... I no longer pay him any attention at all.

Information You Deserve said...

Why is it that you always see things as being racist?
Sorry if I'm missing something but Your "BOY" is not necessarily a racist remark.
Are you always so sick, or is it just today?

Malcolm said...

From Rich (via Facebook): I don't see why Sharpton would be shocked. It's Pat Buchanan, fer crissakes ... I'm surprised he just doesn't start wearing his white hood when he's on TV.

Malcolm said...

Innominatus: Thanks for stopping by. Media Matters recently wrote an article which echoes your sentiments about Pat Buchanan:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201108080008

Here's the question though: Do you give him a pass for his "your boy" remark?

In My Defense: You definitely are missing something. If you actually read my post, you'd know I don't think Pat's "your boy" comment was racist.

If you want to comment here, you're more than welcome. However, I suggest you work on your reading comprehension. Otherwise you'll wind up making a fool of yourself again.

innominatus said...

I'm guessing Pat said that in more of an "us" and "them" the way a baseball manager might say "their boys had a better night at the plate."

Malcolm said...

Innominatus: Thanks for answering the question. As I said in the post, I think the people who are upset by the "your boy" remark are looking at who said it... not what was said.