Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Sunday, July 10, 2011

The King of Queens: Arthur and Slavery


One reason I love syndication is it makes it easy for me to check out series I ignored when they originally aired. A show I've recently been getting into via reruns is The King of Queens starring Kevin James and Leah Remini as Doug and Carrie Heffernan. Although the entire cast of the long-running sitcom is solid, my favorite character is Arthur Spooner (played by Jerry Stiller). As Doug's irascible, scheming, basement-dwelling father-in-law, Stiller has the ability to steal every scene in which he appears. With his unique way of delivering lines and punctuating them with hilarious physical gestures, he can take something which isn't funny on paper and turn it into sitcom gold.

The player below contains scenes from the season 6 episode "Affidavit Justice". In the episode, the subplot deals with Arthur's discovery that his ancestors were slave owners and how he tries to make things right with Doug's best friend/co-worker Deacon Palmer (played by Victor Williams).

If you enjoy Jerry Stiller's work on The King of Queens, someone with the username ArthurSpoonerFan has a You Tube channel devoted to some of Arthur's best scenes from the show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol. That was a great clip

pjazzypar said...

I caught this episode when it first aired...hilarious.

Malcolm said...

Trestin: Yes it was.

Pjazzy: Because I've only started watching "The King of Queens" recently, I haven't seen this episode yet. I'm looking forward to it though.