Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Monday, March 28, 2011

Garth Brooks Suffers From "White Guilt"?


 Early Saturday morning while watching a repeat of Friday's The O'Reilly Factor, I was intrigued by that night's "Pinheads and Patriots" segment. Although I find the "P and P" segment as a whole rather silly, this one caught my attention. For those who aren't familiar with "P and P", Bill O'Reilly runs a clip and the viewers vote on whether the people/person in the clip is "Patriotic" or "Pinheaded". On the following night, O'Reilly airs the poll results. Thursday night he aired a portion of the following clip:



 To the best of my knowledge, O'Reilly only aired the part of the clip in which Garth gave his answer to the question "Has President Obama lived up to your expectations?" When O'Reilly revealed the poll results, it showed that 85% felt Garth Brooks was a pinhead for what he said. This led me to see what people had to say about Garth Brooks' comments online. The following are some of what I found at FoxNation.com:
  • Pssst, Garth, you don't have to like people just because they have a little extra melanin.
  • ...another Loser supporting a Loser.......what a waste of whyte...
  • Garth Brooks is a fat, stoopid-looking little dweeb who has made so much money peforming to primarily white audiences that his 'white-guilt bags' are overflowing to such a degree he can no longer pick them up. As a release, he has convinced himself that loving Obama will make all of his miserable feelings of shame go away.
  • There is the perfect example of a caucasian that is incapable of talking down on a black man. And these are the people that got us into all this trouble.
  • In Obamas' world, you committed the original sin simply being white and no amount of sucking up can change that.
Say it ain't so?! Members of the right needlessly injecting race into a topic. No, they'd never do that!

Note: The comments section for the Garth Brooks story has been closed at FoxNation.com.  However, you can read similar nonsensical remarks in the comments section here at CNSNews.com.

I plan on writing a guest post about the Garth Brooks controversy from a different and more serious angle on the conservative blog Teresamerica later this week soon.  As I said, the comments section for the GB story has been closed at FoxNation.com.  However, I cut and pasted some of the "best" comments into a Word document.  I'll be including some of these in the guest post. Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Nameless Cynic said...

I didn't see "white guilt" (except the obnoxious inverse in the comments) - I just saw a guy pointing out the useless partisanship we're currently getting hit with.

Almost wish I liked his music now...

Malcolm said...

Nameless Cynic: How these people see white guilt in Garth Brooks' comments is beyond me. In their mind, the only way a white person can support President Obama is if they suffer from "white guilt".

Sadly (but not surprisingly), most of the commenters on FoxNation didn't even touch on what Garth said about how partisanship is hurting this country. I wonder if most of them quit watching the clip before getting to that part. So much for being tolerant and open minded.

John Myste said...

I didn't read the whole thing. I have almost finished my soy dog and this was just a soydog break, as I will be working late. I am sure you take them all the time. I saw your bolded comment. Are you posting on a conservative blog as a guest contributor or as a commenter?

Which blog?

DanCarroll said...

I'm interested to see more on this. Reversing the concept of "white guilt" for liking Obama, I hate the conclusions that people sometimes make if you dislike something. For example, if you don't like Obama and are white you become a racist or if you are heterosexual and didn't like Brokeback Mountain you become homophobic. It can be frustrating when things like that and "white guilt" are thrown into things that shouldn't even be part of the conversations. Great topic!

Anonymous said...

I hear you Dan. Far too many people (on both sides) focus on Obama's racial background. To often any opinion no matter how unrelated to the topic of race gets tied into race.

Malcolm said...

John: Thanks for stopping by! I am posting on the conservative blog "Teresamerica" as a guest contributor. I've been busy so I wasn't able to finish the post last week. I hope to have it completed this week.

Dan: Agreed. Although someone white disliking Obama could feel the way they do because of his race, it isn't always the case. Whether or not whites who dislike him because of race are in the minority or majority is hard to say.

Trestin: One thing the Obama presidency has shown me is that we still have a ways to go when it comes to race issues in this country. I've seen people bring up race when it's not even in the equation and I've also witnessed those who try to ignore the race factor when it is an issue.