Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Guest Post: The Pitfalls of Victimhood


Although our political viewpoints are polar opposites, I am Facebook friends with a gentleman named Trestin (whose blog is titled Trestin Meacham).  Last December, Trestin was engaged in a discussion on his Facebook page which led me to ask him if he was interested in elaborating on his comments by writing a guest post for DI.  He offered up the following:


Recently I had a discussion on Facebook in which the subject of racial preference was mentioned.  I stated:  “I don't believe we have equality. Let's face it minorities get preference in many ways, and I'm not too bothered by that.” 

When I entered the service, my recruiter asked me if I was part Native American.  I told him no.  He then explained that if I was Native American I would be more likely to get the rate I wanted and be promoted.  I once again (to his surprise) said no, because I am not of Native American decent, and did want my service to be based on a lie. However, I had another reason for telling him not to lie about my racial origins. 

I was born into a single parent home.  My mother’s life was a mess in many ways.  In school, I was not well liked by my many of my teachers.  No adult likes a nine year old that knows more about the subject you are teaching than you do, and is not afraid to tell you when you are wrong.  I was often in fights with other kids. 

I did not start getting my head straight until I was in high school.  I started getting involved in sports, and became religious.  I went from being an angry bitter young man, into one of the more popular kids in our school.  The key to this change and everything good in my life since was the realization many of my problems were my fault.  If I wanted my life to improve, I was going to have to change myself.  Two things I read had a profound effect on me; the biblical story of Joseph in Egypt, and a poem:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul
.-Invictus by William Ernest Henley

This poem helped me realize that no outside force could conquer me, unless I allow it to conquer.  I was no longer a victim of my circumstances, and vowed to never be again.  Yes, bad things still happen to me that are out of my control, but I am the one who chooses how I react. 

I think that most of our racial problems stem from the illness of being a victim.  That goes for all races.  We all know that great injustices were done in past.  I many ways people of certain racial backgrounds do have more to overcome in this life.  However, just like me, only those who shed the burden of being victim will be able to rise above their circumstances. 

Do not think that this is some kind of lecture intended for minorities.  It is intended for all people.  White people are just as guilty about embracing the cancer that is victimhood as any group.  I have heard many white people complain about affirmative action and how unfair it is to have such a system.  Yes, I suppose that it is somewhat unfair, but what are you going to do about it?  Are you going to be a victim and blame your problems on outside forces, or are you going to rise above your circumstances? 

Life is not fair, and those who expect it to be will never have any kind of peace.  I am not going to spend my life being a victim.  I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul.

10 comments:

B.J. said...

You learned a good lesson at a good age, Trestin, and I appreciate your sharing it. The between-ager years are tough, and if more youth grasped what you did, life would be better for them.

Victimhood can emerge from many “obstacles:” race or gender bias, social status, political or religious persecution, sexual preferences and even the challenges of the physically or mentally handicapped. Often with young kids it’s nothing more than a matter of physical appearance.

You are fortunate that you learned the key to overcoming life’s obstacles at an early age.

Thanks for the poem, it’s been 56 years since I had to memorize it in junior high!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for allowing me to share this, Malcolm.

Right Truth said...

Great job Trestin. Too bad there are so many who have not learned this lesson.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Jen said...

Very well said and only those who shake off the labels truly understand what it means to decide your own fate.

Teresa said...

Great post, Trestin!

Kid said...

I just have this to say: True Conservatives want Everyone to be successful.

Period.

Patrick Carroll said...

Life is about nothing other than rising above one's circumstances/limitations/what have you. Never mind the poem, because although it's awesome, your whole post is poetry Trestin. Well done!

Malcolm said...

Thanks again for writing this guest post Trestin. I'm glad you made it clear that victimhood knows no color.

I also appreciate you including the poem; now I know who it was that Capt. Louis Renaud was quoting. :-)

pjazzypar said...

I actually agree with some of the things that Trestin has said here about personal responsibility and taking control of our destinies. I do not for one minute believe that minorities get preferential treatment. I do believe that certain quotas have been put in place to level the playing field. To be white in this and other westernized countries is a privilege. I am not saying that to place blame, but rather I am stating a fact.

I am glad Trestin was able to get back on track. I enjoyed reading about how he was able to turn his life around. However Trestin's situation cannot be compared to the plight of minorities who have endured hundreds of years of physical and mental abuse, poor educational opportunities, Jim Crow sanctions, lynching, and the list goes on. Throw in a criminal justice system that penalizes poor, disenfranchised minorities and basically ignores the wrong doings of corporations and the rich and powerful, and you have an absolute mess.

Let's face it, people in this country have been victimized and continue to be victimized and while some have been able to rise above, others are forced to reside in neighborhoods, reservations, barrios, etc. that literally choke the life out of the folks who have to live there. And they have to live there because most do not have the means or opportunity to do better.

I refuse to be a victim too, but that does not mean that I am going to behave as if problems do not exist in this society and globally, because they do! As Trestin stated, "Life isn't fair". By the same token, it is fairer for some than others. I have a Norman Rockwell print hanging on my bedroom wall entitled, "The Problem We All Live With". Please Google that title and you will understand more vividly where I am coming from.