Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Monday, July 15, 2013

The Retro Mix Playlist for 7/13/13: Freedom Rock



Show Theme: Peace and Protest Songs from the 60s and early 70s

Normally I wouldn't post my radio show playlists here. However, because of theme of my show last Saturday, I thought I'd share it.

Hour 1

War- Edwin Starr
Mother Freedom- Bread
Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)- Melanie
Give Peace a Chance- John Lennon (Plastic Ono Band)
Blowin’ in the Wind- Bob Dylan
Chicago- Graham Nash
Bring the Boys Home- Freda Payne
People Got to Be Free- The Rascals

In Concert segment:
What Have They Done to the Rain- Joan Baez (rec. live in 1962)

Eve of Destruction- Barry McGuire
(For God’s Sake) Give More Power to the People- The Chi Lites
Ball of Confusion (That’s What the World Is Today)- The Temptations
Now That the Buffalo’s Gone- Buffy Sainte-Marie
Turn, Turn, Turn- The Byrds
Fortunate Son- CCR
We Gotta All Get Together- Paul Revere & the Raiders

Hour 2

What’s Goin’ On- Marvin Gaye
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised- Gil Scott-Heron
Reach Out of the Darkness- Friend & Lover
Ohio- Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young
Peace Train- Cat Stevens
Say It Loud-I’m Black and I’m Proud- James Brown
We’re a Winner- The Impressions
2+2=?- The Bob Seger System
Black and White- Three Dog Night

The Greatest Miss of the Week:
I Should Be Proud- Martha Reeves & the Vandellas (only reached #80 on the Billboard Hot 100)

Time Has Come Today- The Chambers Brothers
Signs- The Five Man Electrical Band
A Change Is Gonna Come- Sam Cooke
Handsome Johnny- Richie Havens
One Tin Soldier- Coven
Volunteers- Jefferson Airplane

Hour 3

Get Together- The Youngbloods
Laugh at Me- Sonny Bono
Everyday People- Sly & the Family Stone
Friendship Train- Gladys Knight & the Pips
I’d Like to Teach the World to Sing- The New Seekers
I Ain’t Marching Anymore- Phil Ochs
This Land Is Your Land- Peter, Paul, & Mary
Hallelujah Day- The Jackson Five
Save the Country- The 5th Dimension
For What It’s Worth (Stop, Hey What’s That Sound)- Buffalo Springfield
Something in the Air- Thunderclap Newman
Stoned Love- The Supremes
If 6 Was 9- The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Let’s Work Together- Canned Heat
Student Demonstration Time- The Beach Boys
All You Need Is Love- The Beatles

Did any of your favorite peace and protest songs from the 60s and early 70s make the playlist? What are some of your favorite peace and protest songs from that era which didn't make the playlist?

The Retro Mix Video of the Week: Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane

5 comments:

Josh said...

A Change is Gonna Come is my favorite of any listed there.

Although, I prefer Otis Redding's version over any other I've heard. And on a side note, I just recently found out he was only 26 when he died. And I was really floored that he had that much soul and passion in his voice for such a young dude. All these years, I figured he cut some of those tracks in his 30s or 40s.

If 6 was 9 is another great one. Hendrix is obviously not undersold as a guitar player, but his writing often goes under-appreciated.

I prefer stuff with a little more edge to it, if we're talking about a protest-like tune. RATM's Killin' in the Name Of is great, though obviously not of that era.

dmarks said...

"One Tin Soldier" is my favorite, been listening to it lately. A timeless message. Do you know this one?

Malcolm said...

Josh: In addition to sounding older than someone in his early to mid 20s, Otis also looked older than his age. Whenever I hear "If 6 Was 9", I think of the movie "Easy Rider".

dmarks: Of course I know "One Tin Soldier". :-) It was the next to last song I played in hour 2 of this show.

dmarks said...

The more timeless, the less likely it is to be dated as a "Vietnam era songs" and distract people on a mental path that goes through Forrest Gump and through a whirlwind of 60s nostalgia and then ends up here. And that does no one any good. :)

Malcolm said...

dmarks: I don't see the use of a song in a movie (such as Quincy Jones' "Soul Bossa Nova" in the Austin Powers films) as a bad thing. Since some of these songs are rarely (if ever) played on the radio, it helps introduce them to a younger generation. When talking about older music with a former co-worker (who's in her mid 20s), she would often cite a movie as the source for her knowing a particular tune. Hell, I discovered the 1953 song "Mess Around" by Ray Charles because it was used in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". Now, you don't fault us for not being born when these songs came out do you? :-)