Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Contract Reveals the Beatles Took A Stand Against Racial Segregation

As if I needed another reason to love The Beatles, a contract that recently turned up reveals The Fab Four refused to play for segregated audiences during multiple tours in 1965 and 1966. That was a smart move on the part of John, Paul, George, and Ringo. After all, why shouldn't blacks and whites have been allowed to revel in the phenomenon that was Beatlemania alongside one another? You can read more about the contract here at HuffingtonPost.com.

Below is a clip of The Beatles performing "I'm Down" during their legendary concert at Shea Stadium in 1965.



4 comments:

Jessica said...

Cool, but not surprising! Love them! :)Good guys!

I'm With Stupid said...

Another reason why old folks really hated that Rock 'n Roll music. They helped push social change for the better.

pjazzypar said...

I am not surprised either. The Brits look at racial issues a lot different than we do stateside.

Malcolm said...

Jess: It's also cool that the Beatles didn't make a big deal out of the clause in their contract... they just did it.

I'm with Stupid: Good call. Over the past couple of years I've been thinking about writing a post discussing the early days of rock & roll and how it helped break down racial barriers.

Pjazzy: After I wrote this post I was thinking about how the UK views race different than many of us do here.