Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Drunken Negro Face Cookies!

Am I the only one to find the idea of a bake good named "Drunken Negro Face Cookies" offensive? I received the below video in an email and it made me angry enough to "chew bricks". The cookies in question were supposedly used to celebrate the Inauguration of President Obama. On that day the cookies were referred to as "Obama Heads". The Greenwich Connecticut baker who sells these cookies does not see why anyone would have a problem with the confection and that the women (who happen to be Caucasian) reporting the story are overreacting. What do you think? Should all people find this appalling and racist or am I being overly sensitive?

7 comments:

Judi said...

Yes, my reaction to the baker and the cookies is it is racist. If they have two witnesses who heard him say "he (Obama) will get his" and "..who will get what's coming to him" then he should be investigated as a threat to the President.

Jessica said...

That man is truly a racist. I can't believe he's getting away with this. I'm shocked that this story isn't being reported more.

John Holland said...

I don't see how anyone can say that this isn't a racist act. Racist and extremely stupid.

clnmike said...

Yeah pretty messed up to me.

Now he was pretty steadfast in his reason to make them.

The guy later apologised after word got around and he started to lose buisness and get death threats.

Which concerns me a little, the lady who complained about Michelle Obama not wearing a dress designed by a black designer got death threats too.

Thats a bit much.

Candy Minx said...

I am so grossed out by this I can't almost respond. I am sure in Canada that might be considered a hate crime.

I also recently found out though...that bookstores separate African American literature...this so shocked me. We would not ever be legally or morally able to do that in Canada. Carleen had a blog about it...and since, I've gone into Borders (I usually don't go to big box stores...so didn't know) and now I've seen these sections. I think it is bizarre and freaky!

Icouldn't find the exact posts about this book separation...but here is her site:

http://www.carleenbrice.com/

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/697656.Carleen_Brice

Josh said...

I think guys like this can be handled with a quick and hard punch to the chops -- or is it chomps?

No need for lawsuits; no need to drive them out of business and cause their families to suffer; there's not even a need to picket and protest and drive business away, in my opinon.

Walk in there, raise fist up, throw fist towards trout-like mush mouth, walk out. I don't know if everyone's happy with this solution, but it's quick!

Anonymous said...

He says it's his right to name them anything he wants? Then it's everyone else's right to boycott his bakery, isn't it?

And I too am a little surprised this hasn't made national news - I wouldn't have know about it if I hadn't read this post.