Quotable Quote of the Month

What does it take for Republicans to take off the flag pin and say, 'I am just too embarrassed to be on this team'?".- Bill Maher

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Samantha Stephens & Co. Tackle Racism On A Christmas Episode of Bewitched



Since it's that time of year, I thought I'd share one of my favorite episodes of Bewitched. Titled "Sisters of the Heart", this Christmas episode (which first aired on December 24, 1970) deals with what happens when Tabitha's friend Lisa, the daughter of a black colleague of Darrin's at McMann and Tate, visits for Christmas.

This episode, which was written by the students of the 5th period, room 309, 10th grade English class at Thomas Jefferson High School in Los Angeles, received the Governor's Award at the 23rd Primetime Emmy Awards in May 1971.




7 comments:

Linda said...

Have a very Merry Christmas, Malcolm! I really enjoy your posts!

Teresa said...

Just watched this!!! :) I have it on VHS! Great episode!

Corey said...

Oh My Lord! I have a lot of episodes of Bewitched - which is one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES, but I don't have this one and haven't seen it in YEARS! So, it slipped under my radar (or memory) this year. Christmas is finally over (yaay!) but I might just have to go share this one on FB.

Your blog looks great and I'm looking forward to digging deep in the archives. Maybe we'll link up in the near future.

Take Care,
C.

Judi said...

Thanks for sharing the episode. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Josh said...

I never could get into the reruns of this show growing up. My folks liked it, but I can't recall ever seeing a full episode.

But as soon as my net's working with more than 1mb, I'll give this a watch.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays all

:)

Pamela Zydel said...

I always liked Bewitched but never saw that episode.

Too bad the racists in the real world don't look at themselves and define what they are then take the steps to change. What a wonderful world it would be!


I hope you had a very Merry Christmas and may you have a safe, healthy and happy New Year!

Malcolm said...

Linda: A belated Merry Christmas to you as well!

Teresa: It had been awhile since I had seen this episode in its entirety. I think it still holds up.

Corey: I'm glad to hear this post brought back some fond memories for you!

Thanks for the kind words about my blog. I enjoyed yours as well and look forward to possibly linking up at some point in time.

Judi: You're welcome. A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!

Josh: If and when you get around to watching this episode, feel free to share your thoughts here. Happy Holidays to you as well!

Pamela: Good call about the racists in the real world. It just occurred to me that this episode was probably kinda daring in its time. At the time, "All in the Family" hadn't debuted yet so it was rare for an American sitcom to broach the topic of racism.

Have yourself a safe, prosperous and Happy New Year!